Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Raw Woofers

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
barryf is on a distinguished road
Default recommendations for small vented enclosure

Greetings folks....I have two rsw1024dvc woofers in ported boxes built to spec per the owners manual. They sound great but with a new vehicle comes new boxes. Problem is I only have about .7 cu ft per sub available now.
I would prefer to get a response curve like a ported enclosure. The recommended sealed box response curve tapers off a little too high. I'd like to use a 4" diameter port in a .7 cu ft box with a resonance of 60hz or lower. Could use some help determining port length. I know I won't get the 40hz that the original box produces.
Alternatively, I would consider a clamshell isobaric vented configuration and realize I lose some efficiency there.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: recommendations for small vented enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryf View Post
Greetings folks....I have two rsw1024dvc woofers in ported boxes built to spec per the owners manual. They sound great but with a new vehicle comes new boxes. Problem is I only have about .7 cu ft per sub available now.
I would prefer to get a response curve like a ported enclosure. The recommended sealed box response curve tapers off a little too high. I'd like to use a 4" diameter port in a .7 cu ft box with a resonance of 60hz or lower. Could use some help determining port length. I know I won't get the 40hz that the original box produces.
Alternatively, I would consider a clamshell isobaric vented configuration and realize I lose some efficiency there.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks
In an enclosure that small, adding any port will result in massive amounts of noise and horrible performance. Either go with a sealed enclosure, or, an isobaric enclosure. Yes, there is a trade off in efficiency, but there is also a trade off in efficiency with a sealed enclosure as well.

Calculate the total amount of space you have available and post back.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Just Gettin Started

barryf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: recommendations for small vented enclosure

Thanks for the feedback. Instead of being greedy using 2 woofers, I just dropped to using one in the recommended 1.4 cu ft enclosure. Sounds great and will use the other as a backup or another purpose . . . my boat could use some lower frequency response.