Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timichango is on a distinguished road
Help 0003 Power-on/off thump issue with A-80

Hey there

I recently purchased a used Bazooka tube from a guy on craigslist, and based on the wiring diagram, and the illustration of the back panel, I'm pretty certain it's an A-80.

I've read through a variety of threads on the forums about this issue, and I've still been unable to resolve the issue despite re-wiring the tube several different ways.

Here's a bit of information about my setup:
  • Aside from thumping issue, unit works and sounds good.
  • Tube is installed in a VW Vanagon Westfalia with an auxiliary battery system.
  • This aux. battery directly feeds a secondary fuse panel. Aux. battery and fuse panel are chassis-grounded.
  • Bazooka is powered directly from fuse panel.
  • Bazooka is grounded directly to chassis bolt, tested at 0 ohms
  • Stereo head unit (Alpine idaX100) also powered from aux. fuse panel on separate circuit. Grounded to dash via stock ground location.
  • Both the stereo head unit remote turn on and the bazooka's orange 'remote' wire are toggled by a single switch installed in the dash.
  • Bazooka's Auto Turn-On jumper is set to the 'off' position.
  • Bazooka connected via low-level RCA inputs.
  • Bazooka thumps on power on/off regardless of whether inputs connected or not.
  • Also tested set-up with 'auto turn-on' configuration (moved jumper, disconnected orange wire) instead of the switch toggle, and that thumped as well, so it's likely not the switch.

All-up, the connections seem very straighforward, and even when all other connections aside from +12v and GND are disconnected, and the unit is switched on via the orange remote wire, the unit thumps on power up/down.

Any insight into how to resolve this thumping would be hugely appreciated!! I'm properly baffled.

Thanks!

-T
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Power-on/off thump issue with A-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timichango View Post
Hey there

I recently purchased a used Bazooka tube from a guy on craigslist, and based on the wiring diagram, and the illustration of the back panel, I'm pretty certain it's an A-80.

I've read through a variety of threads on the forums about this issue, and I've still been unable to resolve the issue despite re-wiring the tube several different ways.

Here's a bit of information about my setup:
  • Aside from thumping issue, unit works and sounds good.
  • Tube is installed in a VW Vanagon Westfalia with an auxiliary battery system.
  • This aux. battery directly feeds a secondary fuse panel. Aux. battery and fuse panel are chassis-grounded.
  • Bazooka is powered directly from fuse panel.
  • Bazooka is grounded directly to chassis bolt, tested at 0 ohms
  • Stereo head unit (Alpine idaX100) also powered from aux. fuse panel on separate circuit. Grounded to dash via stock ground location.
  • Both the stereo head unit remote turn on and the bazooka's orange 'remote' wire are toggled by a single switch installed in the dash.
  • Bazooka's Auto Turn-On jumper is set to the 'off' position.
  • Bazooka connected via low-level RCA inputs.
  • Bazooka thumps on power on/off regardless of whether inputs connected or not.
  • Also tested set-up with 'auto turn-on' configuration (moved jumper, disconnected orange wire) instead of the switch toggle, and that thumped as well, so it's likely not the switch.

All-up, the connections seem very straighforward, and even when all other connections aside from +12v and GND are disconnected, and the unit is switched on via the orange remote wire, the unit thumps on power up/down.

Any insight into how to resolve this thumping would be hugely appreciated!! I'm properly baffled.

Thanks!

-T
With having all of your bases covered with regards to voltage, resistance at ground, etc., you will most likely need to install a filter to prevent this turn-on thump. The A-80 is over twenty years old. What used to be considered a "soft turn-on" is now thought of as noise. Not to mention, anytime you buy a used component you can never be sure how the original, or any number of owners since treated the product.

Last edited by heavyduty; 07-17-2012 at 03:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to heavyduty For This Useful Post:
Geneh (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Just Gettin Started

Timichango is on a distinguished road

Thanks Heavyduty!

Can you clarify what you mean by a filter? What kind of filter, and where in the the installation?

I've also read about wiring a resistor in-line with the turn-on wire: any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any further help you can provide,
Tim
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timichango View Post
Thanks Heavyduty!

Can you clarify what you mean by a filter? What kind of filter, and where in the the installation?

I've also read about wiring a resistor in-line with the turn-on wire: any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any further help you can provide,
Tim
Look to purchase the PAC-TR4, this is will eliminate the turn-on thump you have. Another option is to install a toggle or rocker switch into the turn-on circuit. With this method you will have to flip the switch after you power up the headunit. One other option would be installing a 25 volts 330 uF capacitor in-line on the remote turn-on wire, you may want to try this cost effective method first. The local Radio Shack should have that capacitor in stock.

If you are a DIY type, you could always build a turn-on delay circuit. However comparing cost with the PAC unit, you may save $5 and you don't have a nice box that everything sits inside of.

Last edited by heavyduty; 07-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to heavyduty For This Useful Post:
Geneh (07-18-2012)

Tags
pop, popping, power issues, thump