Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
tlvan is on a distinguished road
Help 0003 Install bazooka install w 8 gauge from amp kit

Happy New Year

I have a noobie install Q for everyone.

I installed a 8" bazooka tube today and it sounds great. I'm concerned because I used a 8 gauge amp kit for my installation, possibly comprising my power and ground connection the tube's wire harness.

Setup: One of the 8 gauge wires has a 30 amp fuse and is crimped to the 16 gauge red power wire leading to the tube. The 8 gauge ground wire is connected to the 16 gauge black ground wire on the tube harness.

Problem: The wires were difficult to crimp due the size differences. After my crimps, some of 8 gauge wire was exposed (1mm) causing me to wrap each connection with electrical tape at least +10 times. Though my wires and connections are wrapped with a lot tape, should I be concerned about my connections possibly causing fire? If so, can you suggest a safe method to connect 8 to 16 gauge wires?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Just Gettin Started

Default Re: Install bazooka install w 8 gauge from amp kit

If it makes a difference, I used the yellow connectors to connection. Yellow is used for 10-12 gauge wire. I couldn't get my hands on any 8 gauge wire connectors.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvan View Post
Happy New Year

I have a noobie install Q for everyone.

I installed a 8" bazooka tube today and it sounds great. I'm concerned because I used a 8 gauge amp kit for my installation, possibly comprising my power and ground connection the tube's wire harness.

Setup: One of the 8 gauge wires has a 30 amp fuse and is crimped to the 16 gauge red power wire leading to the tube. The 8 gauge ground wire is connected to the 16 gauge black ground wire on the tube harness.

Problem: The wires were difficult to crimp due the size differences. After my crimps, some of 8 gauge wire was exposed (1mm) causing me to wrap each connection with electrical tape at least +10 times. Though my wires and connections are wrapped with a lot tape, should I be concerned about my connections possibly causing fire? If so, can you suggest a safe method to connect 8 to 16 gauge wires?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum tlvan. Taking the appropriate steps to ensure a safe installation will go a long ways towards being able to enjoy your Tube and your ride for that matter, for the long haul. Connecting 8 gauge to 16 gauge wires can be difficult, however, there are a few things you can do. The first would be finding 8 gauge ring terminals, 16 gauge ring terminals, and a terminal block to connect the wires, or, you could solder the wires together and use heat shrink to protect the connection. Either method will be fine, the most important thing to remember is accurate, secure connections.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks, I'll get on the terminal block solution ASAP.

Two more questions:

1. Is there be a inline fuse normally included w/ bazooka wire harness? If so, what amperage is it? Someone gave me the tube as a gift. I'm afraid that they may have cut a fuse included with harness by mistake. I do have a fuse for the power wire from battery to the harness. Its rated at 20 or 30 amp.

2. After I installed the tube, I noticed a burning smell from my Sony xplode deck (CDXGT240) when I turned it up a bit today. I'm sure I connected the remote wire (blue/white) correctly with orange wire on the harness. All the other wires were connected properly by a professional. Assuming my remote wire connection is correct, can the remote wire could cause the deck to burn? I think Remote puts 12v OUT, not IN. My Amp Remote wire (blue/white) was labeled with a sticker said "Max Current Supply .3 A. Am I missing a step in the install?

Thanks in advance for helping a Noobie out!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Just Gettin Started

Following up on #2 above, I noticed I missed disconnecting the Yellow Auto Loop. I have just removed this loop. Not sure if this caused the "burning" issue I discussed above, but thought to mention it.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks, I'll get on the terminal block solution ASAP.

Two more questions:

1. Is there be a inline fuse normally included w/ bazooka wire harness? If so, what amperage is it? Someone gave me the tube as a gift. I'm afraid that they may have cut a fuse included with harness by mistake. I do have a fuse for the power wire from battery to the harness. Its rated at 20 or 30 amp.

2. After I installed the tube, I noticed a burning smell from my Sony xplode deck (CDXGT240) when I turned it up a bit today. I'm sure I connected the remote wire (blue/white) correctly with orange wire on the harness. All the other wires were connected properly by a professional. Assuming my remote wire connection is correct, can the remote wire could cause the deck to burn? I think Remote puts 12v OUT, not IN. My Amp Remote wire (blue/white) was labeled with a sticker said "Max Current Supply .3 A. Am I missing a step in the install?

Thanks in advance for helping a Noobie out!
Yes, you do need a inline fuse. You most likely have a BTA100, a EL8A, or a TA850, (I'm basing this on the 16 gauge power and ground wires of the harness). These Tubes will need a 7.5 amp inline fuse.

As for your remote wire, this is simply a trigger wire. Simply, this is what tells the Tube to turn on or off. This is why the amperage of this circuit is so low. It still has 12 volts, however, the amperage draw is very small (.3 amps).

The burning smell you noticed most likely has to do with your turning the unit up for an extended period of time. As long as the unit is still functioning properly and your fuses are all intact, your good to go.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Just Gettin Started

re: Inline fuse. When I opened up the inline fuse included w my kit, I realized it was rated at 60 Amp! This morning I replaced it with a 20 Amp fuse, before I read your posting. I'll heed your comments and get a 7.5 fuse between the battery and tube.

re: Burning - I ran my head unit for about 1.5 hour with Bazooka pounding my trunk. The burning smell from the HU returned 30 mins in. But the unit continued to work, and smell went away shortly after. So, everything is fine right now.

Thanks for answering my Noob questions & the great support, Heavyduty.

Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
re: Inline fuse. When I opened up the inline fuse included w my kit, I realized it was rated at 60 Amp! This morning I replaced it with a 20 Amp fuse, before I read your posting. I'll heed your comments and get a 7.5 fuse between the battery and tube.

re: Burning - I ran my head unit for about 1.5 hour with Bazooka pounding my trunk. The burning smell from the HU returned 30 mins in. But the unit continued to work, and smell went away shortly after. So, everything is fine right now.

Thanks for answering my Noob questions & the great support, Heavyduty.

Happy New Year
Anytime, this is what the Bazooka Forum is for, Happy New Year to you as well.

Tags
8 gauge, amp kit, install, remote wire, wiring