Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
supernukes is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble with grounding (maybe)

I have a problem with sub working for months (once for a year). Then shutting down. I have my sub under the back seat of a Dakota Quad cab so it is a real pain to take out and keep checking. This problem has been with two different subs (different models). I ended up selling first on ebay and it worked perfectly for buyer. The second I mailed amp off to Bazooka and they said it was fine. I have sub connected to RCA's (sub out) from Pioneer head unit. Power on from head unit. I know it is getting signal from head and I see it turn on (led). works for awhile ( weeks or months) then stops. When I pull out seat (which involves undoing ground as I use seat bolt for ground) and reconnect ground it starts working again. I have noticed varying performance as I change grounds....more bass less bass...etc. How can I check ground...and or fix this issue. The bolt I conect the ground to is backseat chassis bolt.......HELP
Old 03-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trouble with grounding (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernukes View Post
I have a problem with sub working for months (once for a year). Then shutting down. I have my sub under the back seat of a Dakota Quad cab so it is a real pain to take out and keep checking. This problem has been with two different subs (different models). I ended up selling first on ebay and it worked perfectly for buyer. The second I mailed amp off to Bazooka and they said it was fine. I have sub connected to RCA's (sub out) from Pioneer head unit. Power on from head unit. I know it is getting signal from head and I see it turn on (led). works for awhile ( weeks or months) then stops. When I pull out seat (which involves undoing ground as I use seat bolt for ground) and reconnect ground it starts working again. I have noticed varying performance as I change grounds....more bass less bass...etc. How can I check ground...and or fix this issue. The bolt I conect the ground to is backseat chassis bolt.......HELP
First, let me ask, how are you preparing the connection for the ground? How are you prepping the area? Second, how are you connecting the ground wire, to the ground bolt? What kind of terminal?

As for checking the current ground? Before you do anything, grab your trusty DMM, and place a probe on the terminal of the ground wire, and the metal where the groud wire is attached, and measure for resistance. This should read zero. Next, wiggle that ground wire, where the terminal is attached. Is there any change in the impedance?

Post back with your results.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Just Gettin Started

I just stripped wire and wrapped it around the bolt.....The bolt goes directly into the metal frame of the truck.....because it is a back seat bolt...it is impossible to measure ...I have a voltage meter....#1 would it be better to connect a connecter (circle) to the ground wire solder it and then connect to seat bolt......#2 what type of prepping would help?? #3 how (exactly) would I measure resistance...
Thanks in advance. OH one more thing have you heard of a ground going bad over time...or am I chasing a ghost
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I just stripped wire and wrapped it around the bolt.....The bolt goes directly into the metal frame of the truck.....because it is a back seat bolt...it is impossible to measure ...I have a voltage meter....#1 would it be better to connect a connecter (circle) to the ground wire solder it and then connect to seat bolt......#2 what type of prepping would help?? #3 how (exactly) would I measure resistance...
Thanks in advance. OH one more thing have you heard of a ground going bad over time...or am I chasing a ghost
No, I have never heard of a ground going bad over time. A ground wire that is sufficiently prepped and connected, will only go bad if something breaks, such as a terminal, or the ground wire gets ripped out of a harness.

You have a ground problem, due to the method in which you have made your ground connection. Pull that bolt out, and see how many pieces of stranded wire are left. The reason wire in automotive use can handle high power, and remain flexible, is due to the fact that stranded wire is used. And did I mention, that stranded wire will break if it is twisted, torqued, and sheared, such as when wrapped around a threaded bolt, and tightned down?

Cut the existing strands off and strip the wire. Find a ring terminal, crimp it correctly, and make an adequate ground connection.
Geneh (03-14-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks I will do that but I think you will be hearing from me in the future....
Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Just Gettin Started

OK I finally found the "Ghost".....took whole system apart....12.7 volts on hot wire from battery......got a better ground.....green led light is on but no sound. Took sub and hot wired it to battery and it worked. Checked hot lead again and still over 12 volts...but then I hooked up sub and it dropped to 5.7 volts and did not work....followed hot lead and found an in line fuse that had semi melted its casing and was the cause of on/ off when it got hot sometimes it would make a better connection and work and then cool down and not work.... So it can be a power problem even when you see 12 volts coming in and green led on....
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK I finally found the "Ghost".....took whole system apart....12.7 volts on hot wire from battery......got a better ground.....green led light is on but no sound. Took sub and hot wired it to battery and it worked. Checked hot lead again and still over 12 volts...but then I hooked up sub and it dropped to 5.7 volts and did not work....followed hot lead and found an in line fuse that had semi melted its casing and was the cause of on/ off when it got hot sometimes it would make a better connection and work and then cool down and not work.... So it can be a power problem even when you see 12 volts coming in and green led on....
You are still dealing with an installation issue. You have a less than adequate ground connection, and you obviously have a issue with either the location, or installation, of your in-line fuse holder. Ground and power problems, do not creep up out of nowhere, or as you call them "ghost." There is always a root cause.
Geneh (03-24-2015)