Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
doco2279 is on a distinguished road
Default A-40 Tube - HELP

Hello,

I was cleaning out my back room and I found an old A-40 amplified Basstube. I just happened to buy a new to me S-10 and want to install this tube behind the seat. Problem is, I don't have the plug for the basstube. I have read a little bit here and it appears this item is no longer in stock. Is there anyway that I can wire this in without the plug? Also, I'm trying to figure out what the pins are for. I've already looked at the wiring diagram, but it doesn't add up. It looks like I have pins. Looking at the wiring diagram, it has 9 wires on the diagram. So, I'm not sure what pin goes to what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Just Gettin Started

Default Re: A-40 Tube - HELP

I meant to say it looks like I have 8 pins...but it looks like there should be nine according to the wiring diagram.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doco2279 View Post
Hello,

I was cleaning out my back room and I found an old A-40 amplified Basstube. I just happened to buy a new to me S-10 and want to install this tube behind the seat. Problem is, I don't have the plug for the basstube. I have read a little bit here and it appears this item is no longer in stock. Is there anyway that I can wire this in without the plug? Also, I'm trying to figure out what the pins are for. I've already looked at the wiring diagram, but it doesn't add up. It looks like I have pins. Looking at the wiring diagram, it has 9 wires on the diagram. So, I'm not sure what pin goes to what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you are correct, so you will have to connect directly to the pins, either by soldering wires one at a time, or, using a 16-22 AWG connector.

As for the missing pin, that is the negative pin of the low-level inputs. Depending on how much time and energy you want to put into this, I would connect using the High-Level Inputs from the speakers. With the voltage of most head-units today, even if you install a LOC, you will be better off than using the low level. I believe these were 1 volt, maybe 2 volt max input voltage. Just remember, this was a long, long time ago.
Geneh (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks for the info. Would a generic 6 or 8 pin connector work for this. I think that might be easier than soldering or connecting to each individual pin.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would a generic 6 or 8 pin connector work for this. I think that might be easier than soldering or connecting to each individual pin.
It should work out, most of the time pin size is universal. You may not have a locking harness, but you can always find a way around that.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Just Gettin Started

Well, I'm going to try out using the barrel connectors. I ordered an 8 pin connector anyhow. I'll see how that goes and report back in case anyone else is in my situation.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Just Gettin Started

So, I've got everything hooked up. It doesn't sound to bad. Fills in the bass I'm missing. I need to keep it turned down because in a regular cab S-10 you just don't need much to fill it up. I'm currently running it on barrel connectors. Every once in awhile it does a weird thing where is thumps really hard like something is out of whack. It is hard to explain. I think it might be that the barrel connectors are not tight enough and they are wiggling around. I'll see if it gets any better with the connector I'm waiting on in the mail. Other than a loose connection, what else could it be? It's like it will get really loud for a second and than go back to normal. I know this thing is ancient. Ever heard of an issue like this?
Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, I've got everything hooked up. It doesn't sound to bad. Fills in the bass I'm missing. I need to keep it turned down because in a regular cab S-10 you just don't need much to fill it up. I'm currently running it on barrel connectors. Every once in awhile it does a weird thing where is thumps really hard like something is out of whack. It is hard to explain. I think it might be that the barrel connectors are not tight enough and they are wiggling around. I'll see if it gets any better with the connector I'm waiting on in the mail. Other than a loose connection, what else could it be? It's like it will get really loud for a second and than go back to normal. I know this thing is ancient. Ever heard of an issue like this?
Any other noises? Any kind of ignition noise when driving? Any turn-on thumps? My initial thought is to check the ground connection. And, while you are at the back of the Tube, take a moment to twist the level potentiometer. If this starts crackling or making any noise, the pot needs to be replaced.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Just Gettin Started

No other noises that I've noticed. Two days on and I haven't heard any noises since. I did fool around with the cross-over and level and now it is sounding really good. I just got my connector in the mail today. It that works, I'll post and let anyone else with one of these old tubes know they can just order a generic connector. I appreciate all the help thus far.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Just Gettin Started

My 8 pin connector came in and I got it wired and hooked up. It fits the bass tube exactly and clips in securely. I know the interface is a nine pin, but for my application I only needed three actual pins, the acc power and the two high level inputs. If anyone has one of these old models and needs a wiring harness, google (8-PIN CONNECTOR W/HEADER, 0.156")and you should be in business. I couldn't find a 9 pin, but there is a 10 pin you could get if you wanted the ability to use all the wires. You can probably find these at Radioshack as well. This particular connector set me back $3.00.
The Following User Says Thank You to doco2279 For This Useful Post:
heavyduty (07-27-2015)