Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
VictorCharlie is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with BTA-8200

I received a bazooka tube BTA-8200 for Christmas and had my friend install it. The led light is green and there is some bass coming from the tube. However, the amplifier doesn't seem to be kicking on all the way. I will be driving along and all of a sudden there will be a huge surge in bass and it will stay on for a while. We checked all the connections and there were none that were lose. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Problem with BTA-8200

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
I received a bazooka tube BTA-8200 for Christmas and had my friend install it. The led light is green and there is some bass coming from the tube. However, the amplifier doesn't seem to be kicking on all the way. I will be driving along and all of a sudden there will be a huge surge in bass and it will stay on for a while. We checked all the connections and there were none that were lose. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong?
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum VC. I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your BTA8200. To help troubleshoot, I will need to ask you a few questions. How do you have the Tube placed/mounted? Are you using high or low-level interconnects? Where do you have your 12v constant power connected? And last, have you checked your ground with a DMM (digital multi meter)? It should read zero resistance at all times. From what you have described, it sounds like a resistance issue, either at the power or ground.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Just Gettin Started

I have it mounted in my trunk, parallel to the back seat. We originally used low level interconnects but switched to high level interconnects to see if that was the problem. So we tried both methods. We connected the power by unscrewing one of the fuse box connections and placing it under one of the main fuse box inputs. We also used a 30A fuse instead of the 15A fuse. Our ground is in the metal framework of the trunk with a screw securing the ground wire. I will try and get a hold of a DMM and see if I can check it.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have it mounted in my trunk, parallel to the back seat. We originally used low level interconnects but switched to high level interconnects to see if that was the problem. So we tried both methods. We connected the power by unscrewing one of the fuse box connections and placing it under one of the main fuse box inputs. We also used a 30A fuse instead of the 15A fuse. Our ground is in the metal framework of the trunk with a screw securing the ground wire. I will try and get a hold of a DMM and see if I can check it.
First, I would highly suggest that you replace the 30A fuse with the 15A fuse if you have not already done so. Your 12v power needs to come directly from the battery and not your fuse box. Be sure to use an in-line fuse holder at the battery, no longer than 18" inches from the positive post (with a 15A fuse installed). You can pick one of these up at your local auto parts store relatively inexpensive. This will ensure that you have a 12-14.4v at all times (13.8-14.4 when the vehicle is running). Second, if you used a self-tapping screw for your ground, it would be a good idea to replace it with a nut, bolt and 2 washers. Be sure to scrap all of the paint and primer from the area. Afterwards, you can spray over the area with primer or paint to prevent rust. Also, the Tube will always perform best pointing towards the taillights with 2-4 inches between the Tube and the vehicle. Are you still using the high level interconnects? If so, front or rear? It is best to use the front. The reason being is this, if you use the fader, as most people tend to, increasing the fader to the front reduces the signal at the rear speakers, which will reduce the signal at the Tube. If you have any other questions feel free to post back or use the PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks a lot for the help, I will try your suggestions and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help, I will try your suggestions and see if that fixes the problem.
It is no problem at all VC, that's what the Bazooka Forum is for, helping each other out. Post back if you hit a snag or have any other questions during the install.