Go Back   Club Bazooka > General Discussion > General Chat

Notices

Old 11-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazyflippy@
Default sirius radio

has anyone had, or know much about Sirius satelite radio? Is it just like the xm that you pay monthly? Is it exactly the same thing? I really dont know, but i can get one of the reciever really cheap...im wondering if its worth it.
thanks for the help
Old 11-07-2003, 09:14 AM
BAZOOKA Man

IamLilysDad is on a distinguished road

No, it is not the same as XM. Sirius has totally commercial free music channels. IMO Sirius is better than XM, if not just because of the no commercials. It is a little bit more a month than XM, at 12.99 as opposed to 9.99, but I think that it is justified. And if you go to Circuit City and buy the antenna I think (you would have to check) you would get the box for free. You have to have the antenna anyway, so you might want to check into that before you buy one from somebody else.

The best thing to do is go to their websites, xmradio.com and sirius.com, and listen to their channels (you get a limited time though) and see which one you like better. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:21 PM
BAZOOKA GURU

lizardskins7

In my opinion, none of those are worth it for that high of a monthly fee. Having that many stations might sound good on paper, but let's face it.. How many are you realistically going to listen to on a regular basis? There's probably only a selective few that play any type of music that you even remotely like and even then, who's to say it won't be a crappy selection of songs? I like it way better than FM, but there's no way in hell I'd pay for it. I'd rather put that money towards building up a nice collection of cds that I chose and like and that I will continue to listen to for years to come.... If I put that money into XM monthly fees, then in a few years when I stop the service, I won't have anything to show for the hundreds of dollars that I've thrown into it....

Just my 2 cents though....
Old 11-07-2003, 07:47 PM

youngsub

Quote:
quote:
In my opinion, none of those are worth it for that high of a monthly fee. Having that many stations might sound good on paper, but let's face it.. How many are you realistically going to listen to on a regular basis? There's probably only a selective few that play any type of music that you even remotely like and even then, who's to say it won't be a crappy selection of songs? I like it way better than FM, but there's no way in hell I'd pay for it. I'd rather put that money towards building up a nice collection of cds that I chose and like and that I will continue to listen to for years to come.... If I put that money into XM monthly fees, then in a few years when I stop the service, I won't have anything to show for the hundreds of dollars that I've thrown into it....

Just my 2 cents though....
You took the words right out of my mouth
Old 11-08-2003, 12:41 PM
BAZOOKA GURU

lizardskins7

On an interesting side note, the 2600 hacker magazine had an article a few months back about how to get XM for free.
What you have to do is start the service, then unhook your receiever, cancel the service and then in a month or so you can hook the reciever back up and you'll still be getting xm. The reason this works is because the XM signals, like any radio signal, are not directed to any specific player, they are just always there. XM stops and starts your service by sending out a signal with a specific code for your reciever that tells it whether or not to work. When you cancel your service, xm only sends the signal telling your reciever to stop for a limited amount of time because it would use up far to much of their signal bandwidth to constantly send 'stop' signals to everyone who has ever cancelled their xm unit. Because of this, you can leave your radio unhooked for a certain period of time to avoid ever receieving the 'stop' signal and when you hook it back up, it will continue working as usual. You don't have to worry about getting caught by xm for doing this either because the communication between xm and your reciever is only one way. Your reciever can only recieve signals, it can't send any back.

Don't blame me if you try it and it doesn't work though. I've never done it myself, I just know that it should work in theory. There's also the potential that xm has changed things a bit since this article got published. I'm also not trying to promote ripping off xm or anything, it's just an interesting topic of discussion......
Old 11-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Crazyflippy@

interesting idea...i think i will forget about it though....invest the money in a faster cd burner...our radio stations in southern alberta absolutely suck was the thing....but 12.99US a month is getting more than a cd a month
thanks
Old 11-08-2003, 02:19 PM

youngsub

I'm just tempted to try that......
Old 11-08-2003, 02:31 PM

youngsub

Does it mean to hook up the receiver as then the CD player or the tuner? Or does it matter?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:00 PM
BAZOOKA Man

IamLilysDad is on a distinguished road

Just hook it up long enough to receive the activation signal (you'll be getting the preview channel) and then unhook and cancel your service. I'm not promoting it either, but I have heard that it works. I myself am somehow getting Sirius for free. I think that i accidentally did that. The fuse was blown in my receiver.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Just Gettin Started

Mazda10Bazooka

i hate the sirus radio crap... its reall boring and stuff just get a cd player and buy cd's or make cd's... not to dis the people who like the sirus radio stuff