Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mac maven is on a distinguished road
Default BTA8100 Assistance Needed

Hi all. Just purchased a BTA8100 for my '67 Camaro. It's not sounding very good, so thought I'd consult you guys about where I might be going wrong.

First, I'm running a RetroSound Classic HU (50x4). Not the most ideal I know, but wanted to keep a stock look.

I'm running two 6x9's in the rear, and two 4x6's in the front. My HU has RCA outs, so I'm running those to a Jenson 760 4-channel amp in the rear, then running speaker wires from the amp to all 4 speakers.

The Bazooka is in the trunk, with the power going directly to the battery, and the HU rear speaker wires spliced into the harness (wires are correctly aligned). I'm using the auto turn on feature.

The issue is that my speakers sound 'OK', but I can barely hear the Bazooka. I know that it is turning on, but just doesn't seem like it's getting enough power. I have the Bazooka stand alone gain box that plugs into the back of the Bazooka, but doesn't seem like it's doing anything no matter which way I turn the dial.

So a couple of questions.

1. Would connecting the Bazooka up to the front speaker wires of the head unit make a difference instead of the rear speaker wires? Seems like I've read that but don't understand why it would make a difference.

2. Would a line out converter help in any way? My tube does not have RCA inputs.

3. Any recommendations on setting the entire system up differently to get a better overall sound?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BTA8100 Assistance Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac maven View Post
Hi all. Just purchased a BTA8100 for my '67 Camaro. It's not sounding very good, so thought I'd consult you guys about where I might be going wrong.

First, I'm running a RetroSound Classic HU (50x4). Not the most ideal I know, but wanted to keep a stock look.

I'm running two 6x9's in the rear, and two 4x6's in the front. My HU has RCA outs, so I'm running those to a Jenson 760 4-channel amp in the rear, then running speaker wires from the amp to all 4 speakers.

The Bazooka is in the trunk, with the power going directly to the battery, and the HU rear speaker wires spliced into the harness (wires are correctly aligned). I'm using the auto turn on feature.

The issue is that my speakers sound 'OK', but I can barely hear the Bazooka. I know that it is turning on, but just doesn't seem like it's getting enough power. I have the Bazooka stand alone gain box that plugs into the back of the Bazooka, but doesn't seem like it's doing anything no matter which way I turn the dial.

So a couple of questions.

1. Would connecting the Bazooka up to the front speaker wires of the head unit make a difference instead of the rear speaker wires? Seems like I've read that but don't understand why it would make a difference.

2. Would a line out converter help in any way? My tube does not have RCA inputs.

3. Any recommendations on setting the entire system up differently to get a better overall sound?

Thanks for the help!
Answer to question 1.) No, due to the size of the front speakers. Ideally, a 4x6 speaker is tuned to limit any bass frequency it cannot reproduce, which causes distortion. No bass information present, no bass to reproduce.

The confusion, is that in most vehicles, the front speakers are of a adequate size, and when using the fader to fix imaging and sound issues, the postion of the fader is moved to front. Thus, reducing the voltage to the rear speakers. Lower voltage, lower output.

With 6x9 speakers in the back, leave the Tube connected to these larger speakers. However, make note of the fader position of the headunit.

Question 2.) No. The Tube has accepts Line Out, or high voltage, speaker level inputs. A LOC, converts the high voltage speaker level input to low level inputs. In a nutshell, save your money, it is built in and you do not need a seperate LOC.

Question 3.) The Tube HAS to be properly mounted and loaded for maximum output. Is the Tue positioned, firing in to the taillights of the vehicle? Next, is there a blockage of air between the trunk and the cabin? No airflow, equals standing waves, equals poor output. And again, look at the position of the fader.

Points to consider: Do you have any filters active on the amplifier? If the high pass filter is activated, you are effectively filtering out all bass information at that crossover point.

Post back with any other questions. Points to consider. Take a systematic approach with this. This allows you to eliminate what solves the problem, and what does not solve the problem, step by step.

http://www.bazooka.com/tech/faqs/Pas...Tubes/16#start

http://www.bazooka.com/tech/faqs/Pas...Tubes/20#start
Old 07-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

I should also add, disconnect your connections at the headunit, and make them at the output terminals of the amplifier. Disconnect the Auto-Turn On Loop, and connect to the remote terminal of the amplifier.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
I should also add, disconnect your connections at the headunit, and make them at the output terminals of the amplifier. Disconnect the Auto-Turn On Loop, and connect to the remote terminal of the amplifier.
Thanks for the assistance and tips! I called the Bazooka tech desk, and the gentleman there suggested that there may not be enough signal coming through the high level outs from the HU to the Bazooka, so cut those and splice to the RCA's going into the Amp to the RCA's on the tube. I bought some piggyback RCA connections and hooked it up, but no joy, as the Bazooka was on and working, just very mildly. To the point where I can unplug it and you notice very little difference with the 6x9's playing.

So, in the post above, you are saying to connect the high level input wires from the Bazooka to the rear speaker wire outs on the amplifier? I've seen that mentioned before in another post but haven't tried it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Just Gettin Started

Thank You Re: BTA8100 Assistance Needed

Quote:
Disconnect the Auto-Turn On Loop, and connect to the remote terminal of the amplifier.
Also, what are the advantages to disconnecting the auto turn on? I thought about this before, but wasn't sure. Any potential issues to hooking up an additional connection to the 12v remote terminal of the amp (like blowing a fuse, etc.).

Thanks Again.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Just Gettin Started

Just a follow up to anyone who might need this kind of help. I ended up hooking the tube's high level inputs to my amps speaker outputs, and it woke the tube up to where it now sounds decent and with the 6x9's. Only problem is that the RBCM-100 Remote Bass Control still has no affect when plugged in. Not sure how to get this working?

Also, as was suggested, I also took a look at the 'auto on' yellow wire to the Bazooka. Come to find out, even with the car off (no acc either), the green power light to the tube was on at all times. I thought this feature shut the tube off if there was no sound present? Either way, I'm going to source off of the remote turn on connection on the amp to avoid any unnecessary draw on the battery.

Thanks again for the assistance. You were a great help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac maven For This Useful Post:
heavyduty (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also, what are the advantages to disconnecting the auto turn on? I thought about this before, but wasn't sure. Any potential issues to hooking up an additional connection to the 12v remote terminal of the amp (like blowing a fuse, etc.).

Thanks Again.
The benefit is that you are connecting to a verified, switched +12v source. As for blown fuses, nothing to worry about. The switched remote circuit is measured in milli-amps. As long as you have no other sources connected, you are in the clear. Any other component that needs a switched +12v source will have to be connected to the fuse box, or you will have to wire in a relay to the existing circuit.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just a follow up to anyone who might need this kind of help. I ended up hooking the tube's high level inputs to my amps speaker outputs, and it woke the tube up to where it now sounds decent and with the 6x9's. Only problem is that the RBCM-100 Remote Bass Control still has no affect when plugged in. Not sure how to get this working?

Also, as was suggested, I also took a look at the 'auto on' yellow wire to the Bazooka. Come to find out, even with the car off (no acc either), the green power light to the tube was on at all times. I thought this feature shut the tube off if there was no sound present? Either way, I'm going to source off of the remote turn on connection on the amp to avoid any unnecessary draw on the battery.

Thanks again for the assistance. You were a great help.
Where and when did you purchase the RBCM-100?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Where and when did you purchase the RBCM-100?
I bought it from Sonic Electronics a couple of months ago.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I bought it from Sonic Electronics a couple of months ago.
Contact Sonic Electronix and ask for a return authorization.
Geneh (09-11-2014)