Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kolme is on a distinguished road
Default Slightly torn subwoofer surround

Hey all,

I received my two new 6.5 DVC 2ohm bazooka woofers yesterday and started installing them today. Unfortunately, while screwing in one of them, the screwdriver slipped and ended up slightly tearing one of the surrounds ...

Is there anyway I can repair the surround instead of replacing it? Some had mentioned silicone sealant and I wanted to see what ya'll had to say

Thanks,
Kolme
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Slightly torn subwoofer surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolme View Post
Hey all,

I received my two new 6.5 DVC 2ohm bazooka woofers yesterday and started installing them today. Unfortunately, while screwing in one of them, the screwdriver slipped and ended up slightly tearing one of the surrounds ...

Is there anyway I can repair the surround instead of replacing it? Some had mentioned silicone sealant and I wanted to see what ya'll had to say

Thanks,
Kolme
If the tear is small enough, you can try to use a glue, such as a sealant, however, the overhwleming factor you have to be aware of is adding weight to the subwoofer itself. This is always a bad thing. The lighter the adhesive, the better. Ideally, flip the driver over and see if you can glue from the inside, using adhesive on the flap of the torn surround.
Geneh (05-31-2013), Kolme (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Just Gettin Started

Kolme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
If the tear is small enough, you can try to use a glue, such as a sealant, however, the overhwleming factor you have to be aware of is adding weight to the subwoofer itself. This is always a bad thing. The lighter the adhesive, the better. Ideally, flip the driver over and see if you can glue from the inside, using adhesive on the flap of the torn surround.
thanks for the response heavyduty. Its a fairly small tear (smaller than a tick-tac sized flap). Should I lightly coat the entire flap and the surrounding area or just the edges of the flap itself? (I can reach under the flap btw!)

Thanks for the help!
Kolme
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolme View Post
thanks for the response heavyduty. Its a fairly small tear (smaller than a tick-tac sized flap). Should I lightly coat the entire flap and the surrounding area or just the edges of the flap itself? (I can reach under the flap btw!)

Thanks for the help!
Kolme
Take the approach that allows for the smallest amount of adhesive. This means the edges of the flap itself. There is no need to coat the entire area.
Kolme (05-31-2013)