Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Hook me up!

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BlueFireIce is on a distinguished road
Default BTA850FH and audio cut out.

I got a BTA850FH for my 2007 Eclipse, installed and seemed to go well, until I turned up the volume, and poof, all audio cuts out. The OEM head unit acts like it's still on, but I have to turn down the volume and turn off and back on to get audio back. As a note, I have worked with computers and wiring allot, and have checked everything I could think of, I checked and moved the ground, with no effect, right now it is hooked into mount in the rear trunk, area was cleaned for good metal contact and put in place with a 12mm bolt. I rechecked all the hook ups for the FAST with the OEM wire diagrams for the 5th time and everything is in place.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Pulling to much power through the OEM stuff?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BTA850FH and audio cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFireIce View Post
I got a BTA850FH for my 2007 Eclipse, installed and seemed to go well, until I turned up the volume, and poof, all audio cuts out. The OEM head unit acts like it's still on, but I have to turn down the volume and turn off and back on to get audio back. As a note, I have worked with computers and wiring allot, and have checked everything I could think of, I checked and moved the ground, with no effect, right now it is hooked into mount in the rear trunk, area was cleaned for good metal contact and put in place with a 12mm bolt. I rechecked all the hook ups for the FAST with the OEM wire diagrams for the 5th time and everything is in place.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Pulling to much power through the OEM stuff?
Disconnect the Tube and see if the headunit will remain on at the same volume you're having problems with now.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Disconnect the Tube and see if the headunit will remain on at the same volume you're having problems with now.
Guess I should have stated this also, this is one of the first things I did, and yes, the system will run at level 49 (max) all day long without the tube, but with the bass turned up and the system on 29-30, it will cut out (with the tube hooked up).
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Guess I should have stated this also, this is one of the first things I did, and yes, the system will run at level 49 (max) all day long without the tube, but with the bass turned up and the system on 29-30, it will cut out (with the tube hooked up).
It doesn't sound like you are running the headunit the same without the Tube connected. Are you dialing in extra bass at the headunit once you connect the Tube? If so, you may be causing the amplifier of the headunit to overheat and go into a thermal protection mode. Connect the Tube leaving everything flat (do not add any bass) and see how the unit plays. If it still shuts down you need to examine all of the connections made with the FAST-9999.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Just Gettin Started

No, everything can be maxed with just the headunit, I have to play music with little bass and turn the bass into the negative to be able to turn it up any higher (with the tube), and there is nothing to check with the wiring, as I said, I have gone over it 5 times since I found the problem, and went over it 4 times when I did the install, it is 100% hooked up right and all connections are secure, I might pick up some better splicing, or go full out and solder the wires together.

However, I am thinking as you said the headunit might be going into a protect mode, as I can not think of anything else, so I might be picking up an aftermarket unit and see if that cures things.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thank You Re: BTA850FH and audio cut out.

Quote:
No, everything can be maxed with just the headunit, I have to play music with little bass and turn the bass into the negative to be able to turn it up any higher (with the tube), and there is nothing to check with the wiring, as I said, I have gone over it 5 times since I found the problem, and went over it 4 times when I did the install, it is 100% hooked up right and all connections are secure, I might pick up some better splicing, or go full out and solder the wires together.

However, I am thinking as you said the headunit might be going into a protect mode, as I can not think of anything else, so I might be picking up an aftermarket unit and see if that cures things.
You have misunderstood what I posted, most likely due to a failure on my behalf to explain myself adequately. If you can turn the OE receiver up without the Tube connected without the unit turning off, then it most likely is not the headunit. It is not unusual to see someone install a Tube or any subwoofer for that matter, and go crazy with dialing in as much bass as possible, either using the bass level on the headunit or through any eq bands or bass boost built into the unit. At times, this can result in the headunit overheating and shutting down.

As the only time you are having problems is with the Tube installed, again I say check your connections. You have stated that you have already done this, so let me ask you how? A visual check or have you put a meter on the terminals of the FAST-9999 when connected to the headunit? What about the BTAH? Have you put a meter on this harness to check for a potential short?

If the Tube is powering on and does not share a ground with the headunit, your ground should be adequate.

One last question, where do you have the red power wire and the blue/white remote wire of the FAST-9999 connected on the factory harness?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Just Gettin Started

Yes, checked harness for continuity, everything is fine. Checked speaker locations with a battery to make sure the diagram I had was right, it was.

The red and blue/white would be hooked up to the 10th pin (Constant Power) and 9th pin (Switched Power) on the harness.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, checked harness for continuity, everything is fine. Checked speaker locations with a battery to make sure the diagram I had was right, it was.

The red and blue/white would be hooked up to the 10th pin (Constant Power) and 9th pin (Switched Power) on the harness.
Since we can now rule out any connection issue you may be experiencing an impedance issue. The easy fix is to use a High to Low level converter. Disconnect the High Level connections of the FAST-9999 and plug the RCA's of the BTAH into the converter installed.

If you are looking to purchase a aftermarket headunit you can skip this all together and connect the Tube using the Low Level outputs of the headunit.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Just Gettin Started

I had plans to get one, yes, but planned on getting it later down the road with some new speakers, however I guess it's best to get it now, no point in buying something else when I planned on another head unit anyway. Thanks for the help.