Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
davidls77
Question EL8A-HP help needed

Hello all,

My old trusty EL8A-HP seems to be having problems these days. I've had this bad boy for almost 10 years now (maybe about ~8 years)

I had ordered a new wire harness as my old one had a loose ground wire from the harness (it had come out in the past and I had fixed it).

I put the new wire harness in and everything was cool (green light came on and tube was bumpin').

And then after 10 seconds or so, the power went out. I checked all my connections and everything seemed okay (again, it worked fine before except that the old wire harness' ground wire would keep coming lose from the harness).

I then kind of tapped on the tube itself and the power would come back on (green light), but within 10 seconds it would go back off. I would tap again, come back on and so on.

I'm wondering if maybe the amp has finally died (possibly from the previous wire harness ground always coming loose?)? Or is there something else I can check? I saw on the bazooka store that a new amp is $90+ dollars :0 So, if that is what is the problem, I'm not sure if it would be worth replacing just the amp.

If anyone has any ideas/clues on what I should check again, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 PM

CJ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EL8A-HP help needed

I am not sure what the problem is, but it sounds like a possible connection issue between the amp and the harness. If you need to send the amp to us to take a look at, I wanted to let you know that you can get the amp replaced under our non warranty replacement program for $24.95 plus shipping. You would need to contact our customer service department @ (800) 843-8823 and have a return authorization issued to return your amp to us. If you don't want to return the amp, then to get a new one, it would cost you $93.95. Hopefully one of the technicians will respond to you with a solution so that you don't have to do either of these. I just wanted to let you know what he could offer.
CJ
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ For This Useful Post:
davidls77 (10-03-2008)
Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls77 View Post
Hello all,

My old trusty EL8A-HP seems to be having problems these days. I've had this bad boy for almost 10 years now (maybe about ~8 years)

I had ordered a new wire harness as my old one had a loose ground wire from the harness (it had come out in the past and I had fixed it).

I put the new wire harness in and everything was cool (green light came on and tube was bumpin').

And then after 10 seconds or so, the power went out. I checked all my connections and everything seemed okay (again, it worked fine before except that the old wire harness' ground wire would keep coming lose from the harness).

I then kind of tapped on the tube itself and the power would come back on (green light), but within 10 seconds it would go back off. I would tap again, come back on and so on.

I'm wondering if maybe the amp has finally died (possibly from the previous wire harness ground always coming loose?)? Or is there something else I can check? I saw on the bazooka store that a new amp is $90+ dollars :0 So, if that is what is the problem, I'm not sure if it would be worth replacing just the amp.

If anyone has any ideas/clues on what I should check again, please let me know! Thanks!
Hey david, Welcome to the Bazooka Forum. Sorry to hear about your audio problems. My initial thought on this matter would be to examine the harness. If you still have the old one, I would check to make sure that they are identical, as sometimes mistakes can happen. Secondly, how do you have the EL hooked up, low level or high level? When you say you fixed the old harness, how did you do that? And do you still have the old harness?
davidls77 (10-03-2008)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hello all,

And as for what you can do, it all depends on how experienced you are or how adventureous you want to be! From the sounds of it, I think you simply have a loose ground internally. You can always remove the amp and check it out. Sometimes, (and I'm not suggesting that you did this) people tend to cram wires back in where they came from rather forcefully, so a solder joint can crack and weaken. After a period of time, and the jolting of an automobile and the vibrations of the bass, can work the joint loose completely. There is a very good chance that when you plugged the new harness in, the joint broke. I don't think it is a catastophic failure, as the whole unit will function when you prompt it to. (by the tapping!) If you have anymore questions or thoughts post back and we will try to get you back up and running again.
davidls77 (10-03-2008), rainmanspl (10-04-2008)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Just Gettin Started

davidls77
Thank You Re: EL8A-HP help needed

awesome CJ!

that is a great replacement program!

i'm hoping that is not the problem, but I'm pretty sure all the connections are fine (I've installed this sucker in 3 cars now over the years haha). But, could still be a bad connection; I'll have to check it this weekend again.

if it is the amp, i'll make sure to take advantage of your program.

thanks!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Just Gettin Started

davidls77

heavyduty,

first, thanks for the response/help.

the tube is set up low level (with rca plugs). the two harnesses do match (i checked before starting). one side note; the new harness is much better than the original as it has shrink tubing around the base of the wires (that connect to the harness itself) which, i assume, keeps the wires from pulling out of the harness. that was what had happened w/ my black ground wire (due to the tube moving). i had just pushed the ground wire back into the harness and tried to even solder to keep it in place, but it would keep popping back out. when the ground stayed in; the tube would work (but of course, after a while it would just come loose again due to car & tube movement).

that was why i finally just said the heck w/ it and bought a new harness.. haha

i'm going to try to pull the amp out this weekend to check connections and if anything is loose internally. what should i look for specifically?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
heavyduty,

first, thanks for the response/help.

the tube is set up low level (with rca plugs). the two harnesses do match (i checked before starting). one side note; the new harness is much better than the original as it has shrink tubing around the base of the wires (that connect to the harness itself) which, i assume, keeps the wires from pulling out of the harness. that was what had happened w/ my black ground wire (due to the tube moving). i had just pushed the ground wire back into the harness and tried to even solder to keep it in place, but it would keep popping back out. when the ground stayed in; the tube would work (but of course, after a while it would just come loose again due to car & tube movement).

that was why i finally just said the heck w/ it and bought a new harness.. haha

i'm going to try to pull the amp out this weekend to check connections and if anything is loose internally. what should i look for specifically?
It is no problem at all, that is what the Bazooka Forum is for, helping people out. I would trace that pin (the ground) and see what it looks like on the other side of the amplifier. If there is a break, it will be obvious. And while you have it open, you can always look for black spots (indication of burning) or other loose components. The amplifier itself is a pretty simple, but extremely effective IC (intergrated circuit) so there are far fewer components. Post back with what you discover. Our forum wizard, rainmanspl, may also have a few thoughts on the matter. He is a car audio professional and is very good with responding to posts and trouble shooting. And if worse comes to worse, $24.95 is an investment in that EL Tube!
davidls77 (10-03-2008)
Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Just Gettin Started

davidls77

thanks again!

i'll take a look this weekend w/ your suggestions.

you and rainman helped me out w/ my honda odyssey thread (regarding the FAST-1721, etc.); i've already ordered that and will try to get a tube for my odyssey later in the month
Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
thanks again!

i'll take a look this weekend w/ your suggestions.

you and rainman helped me out w/ my honda odyssey thread (regarding the FAST-1721, etc.); i've already ordered that and will try to get a tube for my odyssey later in the month
david, I apologize for not recognizing you. I have been trying to make sure everyone gets a formal greeting and it seems that my memory is fleeting! Sorry about that. With that being said, Hey David, welcome back to the Bazooka Forum!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Just Gettin Started

JabJr is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am new to this forum and to posting. Is the 24.95 offer still valid? I have an el8a-hp and the green light does not come on. ok i have it on it's own 12 volt battery with fuse in line, remote start from head unit, high level inputs from rear speakers. the connector at the tube shows 12v as does the remote start. any info would be helpful thanks JabJr