Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
btday is on a distinguished road
Default Inputs and level/gain questions

Hi there, I just installed a BTA10250D with my Alpine IVA-W505. Two questions:

1) High level vs low level inputs

I already have RCA patch cords run to the trunk from my Alpine head unit so used those initially. However, after reading the Bazooka manual on high level vs low level inputs I'm concerned I might be missing out on greater supply voltage to the Bazooka's amp. If so, I want to make sure I understand the "high level inputs" connectivity right.

Do I run the "speaker wire" outputs from the Alpine unit to the green and gray wire pairs on the Bazooka harness? My Alpine provides 4 pair of speaker wires, but those are intended for the front and rear mid/high range speakers. I'm not using them though as I have the front/rear speakers hooked up to a 4 channel amp, connected to the front/rear RCA outputs from the Alpine. Given that the RCAs are being used can I even use one set of the speaker wire outputs? Will that affect the fader control on the head unit?

If it's even possible to use the speaker wire outputs, is it worth it to run speaker wires all the way to the trunk or will the difference between the Alpine's subwoofer-specific RCA output voltage (quoted as 2V in the manual) and the speaker wire outputs be negligble?

2) Level/Gain control on the Bazooka tube - two questions:

I have the remote control for the Bazooka amp "level". It only seems to do anything if I first turn the knob on the actual tube up all the way (clockwise). Is this correct? It's obviously not a motorized knob that moves when I dial the remote contorl, so is it normal/correct that I need to turn it all the way up for the remote control to work? Do I need to do the same (i.e. dial all the way clockwise) for the remote Xover dial to work?

Also, with any level/gain control, you increase distortion with more gain so I've read that you only want to turn it up as high as necessary. Well, my Alpine unit also has a "subwoofer level" control from 0 to 15 that you increase/decrease on the touchscreen.

So, should I increase the Alpine unit's control all the way to 15 and then minimize how much I dial up the Bazooka tube's level? Or, vice versa? Or maybe 50% level on each?

Or, does it matter? Am I just increasing distortion with both so minimize as much as possible and maybe put each at 30% and then fine tune?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Inputs and level/gain questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by btday View Post
Hi there, I just installed a BTA10250D with my Alpine IVA-W505. Two questions:

1) High level vs low level inputs

I already have RCA patch cords run to the trunk from my Alpine head unit so used those initially. However, after reading the Bazooka manual on high level vs low level inputs I'm concerned I might be missing out on greater supply voltage to the Bazooka's amp. If so, I want to make sure I understand the "high level inputs" connectivity right.

Do I run the "speaker wire" outputs from the Alpine unit to the green and gray wire pairs on the Bazooka harness? My Alpine provides 4 pair of speaker wires, but those are intended for the front and rear mid/high range speakers. I'm not using them though as I have the front/rear speakers hooked up to a 4 channel amp, connected to the front/rear RCA outputs from the Alpine. Given that the RCAs are being used can I even use one set of the speaker wire outputs? Will that affect the fader control on the head unit?

If it's even possible to use the speaker wire outputs, is it worth it to run speaker wires all the way to the trunk or will the difference between the Alpine's subwoofer-specific RCA output voltage (quoted as 2V in the manual) and the speaker wire outputs be negligble?

2) Level/Gain control on the Bazooka tube - two questions:

I have the remote control for the Bazooka amp "level". It only seems to do anything if I first turn the knob on the actual tube up all the way (clockwise). Is this correct? It's obviously not a motorized knob that moves when I dial the remote contorl, so is it normal/correct that I need to turn it all the way up for the remote control to work? Do I need to do the same (i.e. dial all the way clockwise) for the remote Xover dial to work?

Also, with any level/gain control, you increase distortion with more gain so I've read that you only want to turn it up as high as necessary. Well, my Alpine unit also has a "subwoofer level" control from 0 to 15 that you increase/decrease on the touchscreen.

So, should I increase the Alpine unit's control all the way to 15 and then minimize how much I dial up the Bazooka tube's level? Or, vice versa? Or maybe 50% level on each?

Or, does it matter? Am I just increasing distortion with both so minimize as much as possible and maybe put each at 30% and then fine tune?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum.

Do I run the "speaker wire" outputs from the Alpine unit to the green and gray wire pairs on the Bazooka harness?

Yes, you would connect the front left and right speaker outputs of your Alpine to the harness of the Tube. You will also want to use both channels as the Tube sums the signal mono internally. If you do not use both channels for input, some of the signal will be lost which is undesirable.

With your 250D, you will be fine using the subwoofer outputs of your Alpine.

I have the remote control for the Bazooka amp "level". It only seems to do anything if I first turn the knob on the actual tube up all the way (clockwise). Is this correct?

With your RBCM, the gain and crossover setting need to be initially adjusted on the Tube first. When you do find the appropriate gain setting, the RBCM will only lower from this point and back to this point. The same will apply with the crossover setting. You can turn the crossover setting all the way to the right and tune down from there, however with the gain setting, you will want to have that set on the Tube.

So, should I increase the Alpine unit's control all the way to 15 and then minimize how much I dial up the Bazooka tube's level?

With regards to setting the subwoofer level on your headunit, you will want to work on this setting first. Remember, when the gain setting of the Tube is set, the RBCM will only lower and raise back to that point. Start with the setting on your headunit at 10 and adjust the gain from there. If the volume is adequate without distortion, plug your RBCM in and your good to go.

You had a pretty good size post, so if I missed something, or didn't explain anything well enough, please post back.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Just Gettin Started

btday is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Inputs and level/gain questions

Awesome, thanks! Very very helpful. It's too bad the RBCM doesn't come with some basic instructions that cover how to set the dials on the tube first. Thanks so much.

I'll give it a try. I think you covered everything. Thanks again!

Tags
bta10250d, level, levels, remote control