Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single amp, dual voice coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
600 watts does exceed the power handling of the Tube. The output of the amplifier will not ruin the speaker, however, you do need to be cautious when setting the gain level. Contrary to what people say, power output is determined by the load the amplifier sees. Adjusting the gain correctly allows for maximum volume with no clipping. Clipping the signal is what ruins speakers.

I do, recommend you using a subsonic filter. The amplifier you have may be equipped with one.

Where in Yadkin County are you located?
I know enough about electronics to be dangerous. By gain, do you mean input level? I guess that I can adjust that when I get the system setup, either on the bench or later when I get the car back from my body man.

The amp has a subsonic filter switch: off-15-30Hz. I assume I should use 30. It also has a crossover frequency adjustment (30-200Hz) and Bass EQ adjustment from 0 to +16dB.

This is going into my project car, a '64 TBird. It's a complete restoration. Nothing is in the car now except the steering column, and I'm rebuilding that after it's painted.

The head unit is a Custom AutoSound USA 630 than puts out 4 channels at 60watts each. I've got two 4" coaxial speakers mounted in the dash in place of the original 4x10. Crutchfiled had an open box special and I got two Retrosound 5x7 coaxials that have a shallow mounting depth, and those will fit inside the rear roof pillars, under the headliner.

I actually live in Forsyth County, on the western side near the Yadkin River. Are you familiar with this part of the country?