View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Single amp, dual voice coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
My new passive speaker just arrived. Maybe I bought the wrong one? I need some advice.

I have an Alpine MRD-M605 Mono Power Amplifier. Output is 1x400W RMS into 4 Ohms. Output wiring is one pair of wires, positive and negative.

So I figured that I needed a 400W bass speaker. Not knowing exactly what "dual coil" meant, I bought a BT8024DCV.

The speaker has 4 terminals for the wiring connection. Apparently this is for a stereo bass input.

My question is, can I install jumpers on across the terminals and wire it to my amp? Or do I need to return this and buy a different unit?
A DVC unit allows for multiple wiring configurations, especially useful when using several drivers or Tubes.

That is not saying that you cannot use a single DVC Tube. If your amplifier is stable at 2 ohms mono, simply wire the voice coils in parallel. You can use jumpers for this.

If your amplifier is not 2 ohm stable, return the unit for the BT8028DVC. Wire the voice coils in parallel to achieve the 4 ohm mono load.
Yadkin (06-07-2013)