View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sound cutting in and out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Ok, to say the least I couldn't wait till this weekend to troublehoot. I just did it now and here is what I found: the outputs are not bridged, the crossovers are orientated towards the outside of the fairing, all connections are very secure, the gain setting was at 12 o'clock. For giggles I turned the gain down to 10 o'clock and the problem went away, hmmmmmmm. Geneh, I apologize that I gave you wrong info! The installer did use the supplied wiring harness. But since they are a custom audio installer with great knowledge and experience, they used 10 gauge wire to run the power. I'm assuming what was supplied is an 8 gauge. Any suggestions now would be greatly appreciated!!!!
ricochet, if the gains of the amplifier are set to high to begin with, it will cause the exact problem that you have described. At low volumes you will not have a problem, but once you increase the volume there is not enough headroom, hence you start clipping the signal, which in turn quickly heats up the amp. Most amplifiers have circuitry that will shut the amp off when it detects DC voltage (clipping) or when the tempature of the amplifier gets too high. Double checking the size of the power wire is a good idea. And that is another great picture of your bike (s). If you get a chance, member Gearhead has restored a Harley. You can do a quick search to see the pictures he has posted.