Club Bazooka

Club Bazooka (http://www.bazooka.com/forums/index.php)
-   Amplified Tube Subwoofers (http://www.bazooka.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Recurring problem with both El8a and BTA8100 (http://www.bazooka.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8283)

supernukes 03-27-2013 08:01 AM

Recurring problem with both El8a and BTA8100

My trusty el8a started acting up. After 10 years of faithul service it started cutting out. Then after chacking everything and getting it working it would work a few minutes and cut out. I replaced it and sent amp out to bazooka for repair. The BTA worked perfect for a few weeks and now it has started cutting out after a few minutes. Bazooka service says el8a amp is fine. the only thing in wiring that has changed at all is ground connection. I am using the rear seat connection bolt to main chassis. Does this sound like it could all be ground related and I need to find a better one?? or should IO also troube shoot remote turn on (connected to amp) or even input (sub preamp from deck)...Thanx

heavyduty 03-27-2013 11:10 AM

Re: Recurring problem with both El8a and BTA8100

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernukes (Post 34326)
My trusty el8a started acting up. After 10 years of faithul service it started cutting out. Then after chacking everything and getting it working it would work a few minutes and cut out. I replaced it and sent amp out to bazooka for repair. The BTA worked perfect for a few weeks and now it has started cutting out after a few minutes. Bazooka service says el8a amp is fine. the only thing in wiring that has changed at all is ground connection. I am using the rear seat connection bolt to main chassis. Does this sound like it could all be ground related and I need to find a better one?? or should IO also troube shoot remote turn on (connected to amp) or even input (sub preamp from deck)...Thanx

If the only connection that has changed is the ground, then yes, begin with the ground wire connection. Do you have a ring terminal crimped to the ground wire? Measure the resistance at ground using a DMM. This should read zero at all times, even when slightly trying to move the ground wire itself.

From there, move to the remote turn-on wire. Check the connections at the headunit and the Tube harness.

supernukes 03-28-2013 07:58 AM

Ty for your response. I worked on system yesterday and after playing with all wiring (new harness from new BTA8100) I am convinced it is subwoofer preamp signal from deck. I will confirm today by using preamp signal from rear speakers (which I know to be working). BUT pls expain a bit more about checking ground. I have a meter from radio shack use ohm or dcvolt and where should I check... at connection site or in wire itself running to sub?

heavyduty 03-28-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernukes (Post 34331)
Ty for your response. I worked on system yesterday and after playing with all wiring (new harness from new BTA8100) I am convinced it is subwoofer preamp signal from deck. I will confirm today by using preamp signal from rear speakers (which I know to be working). BUT pls expain a bit more about checking ground. I have a meter from radio shack use ohm or dcvolt and where should I check... at connection site or in wire itself running to sub?

Set your DMM to measure resistance. Use one probe at the ring terminal of the ground wire and the other probe at the ground connection of the Tube (wiring harness). This should read zero, even when attempting to wiggle the ring terminal.

supernukes 04-03-2013 09:28 AM

Once again thanks for your expertise....I have one last question? I am 99% certain it is pre amp sub output from back of deck. The sub worked for a a week or so cut off and continues to come on for seconds or songs at a time. The ground is good. Power turn on works and show light on and off as it should. But Before I take back seat out again and now also front seat out so I can get at amp and use pass thru pre amp signal to go to sub instead of sub out on deck.... Is there any chance that somehow my 12 volt power supply could be causing this?... it reads 12 volts on meter.... But in your vast experience have you seen a power supply cut on and off like it is?

heavyduty 04-03-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernukes (Post 34342)
Once again thanks for your expertise....I have one last question? I am 99% certain it is pre amp sub output from back of deck. The sub worked for a a week or so cut off and continues to come on for seconds or songs at a time. The ground is good. Power turn on works and show light on and off as it should. But Before I take back seat out again and now also front seat out so I can get at amp and use pass thru pre amp signal to go to sub instead of sub out on deck.... Is there any chance that somehow my 12 volt power supply could be causing this?... it reads 12 volts on meter.... But in your vast experience have you seen a power supply cut on and off like it is?

Absolutely. A quick check to verify is to simply disconnect the switched +12v (remote turn-on) at the Tube annd connect it directly to the constant +12v connection. If the Tube plays non-stop, you've found the culprit. If not, you know what you are dealing with.